Thursday, July 16, 2009

Qalaa House, Kabul, Afghanistan




We arrived at Qalaa House for inprocessing by the US Army Corps of Engineers shortly after landing in Kabul. Qalaa House, the former Iraqi Embassy building and surrounding compound, has been repaired and remodeled, and is now the headquarters of the Corps of Engineers. The compound is secured by elements of the US military and hired Afghan security forces. I was stuck in this damn place for roughly 8 days after doing the usual administrative paperwork, waiting for a flight from Kabul to Ghazni (my final destination) to become available. The compound is slightly larger than a football field. Because we are not able to leave the compound for any reason besides crossing the street to Camp Eggers to visit the PX, I basically felt like a prisoner. If only I had had some license plates to make like a regular inmate, the time may have passed by quicker! Not only that, I managed to roll out of my top bunk in the middle of the night and break 3 of my toes. I was happy to leave Kabul!

No comments:

Post a Comment